Selecting the right attorney is a key step in the divorce process. The person you (and your spouse) hire to help you navigate your divorce is one of the most important steps in determining how long and how expensive the process will be Your divorce attorney will advise and counsel you through the entire process and outline the strategy and procedures that will be perused. It’s important to find someone whose strategy for divorce cases matches your desired outcome. It’s also important to find someone who will give you good advice and not just tell you what you want to hear.
Finding a good divorce lawyer is crucial when going through the process of divorce. Here are some questions you can ask to help you find the right divorce lawyer for your needs:
- Experience and Expertise:
- How long have you been practicing family law and handling divorce cases?
- Have you handled cases similar to mine before?
- What percentage of your practice is devoted to divorce and family law?
- Approach and Strategy:
- What is your approach to handling divorce cases?
- How do you typically communicate with your clients and keep them informed about the progress of their case?
- How do you handle negotiations and settlements, and what is your stance on mediation or alternative dispute resolution methods?
- How do you prepare for trial, if necessary?
- Case Management and Availability:
- Will you personally handle my case, or will it be assigned to someone else in your firm?
- How many other cases are you currently handling?
- Will you have the time and resources to devote to my case?
- Fees and Billing:
- What is your fee structure? Do you charge an hourly rate or a flat fee?
- Are there any additional costs I should be aware of?
- Can you provide an estimate of the total cost for my case?
- Do you offer any payment plans or options?
- Client References:
- Can you provide references from previous clients who were satisfied with your services?
- Are there any testimonials or reviews available that I can review?
- Potential Outcomes and Strategy:
- Based on the information I’ve provided, what potential outcomes can you foresee in my case?
- What strategies do you recommend for achieving my desired outcome?
Remember, it’s important to choose a divorce lawyer who not only has the necessary legal knowledge and expertise but also understands your specific needs and goals. Don’t hesitate to ask any additional questions that are important to your situation.